Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Brisingr Chapters 20-50

As you can probably tell by the title this past week I have been reading nonstop. I’ve read over three hundred pages of Brisingr in the past week and now I’m only 7 chapters from finishing. As there isn’t enough time or room to tell you everything that happened I’ll give you the quick rundown. As I recall I left you with Eragon leaving Jerod’s tent. Well after that he went to get a sword eventually deciding on a sort of thin scimitar. He puts it into use right away as Thorn and Murtagh along with 300 soldiers attack the Varden. Eragon beats Murtagh (only with the help of his 11 elf bodyguards) and tells him how he could possibly free himself from Galbatorix. The soldiers prove to be a big problem, they can’t feel pain. Eventually they are all killed though. Next we have Roran’s and Katrina’s wedding. Then Eragon is sent to the dwarf’s city to oversee the election of a new king. Meanwhile Roran serves as a fighter to prove he has the capabilities of a leader. The next few chapters switch between Roran and Eragon so I will give you Roran’s story first and then Eragon’s. Roran is sent on a mission to destroy a supply caravan. They end up fighting the soldiers without pain and it’s only by Roran’s quick thinking that they don’t lose more than they did. Nasuada sends him on another such mission but with a different stricter leader. This mission is to recapture a city taken by soldiers. However the empire is ready with crossbows and takes many casualties very quickly. To save the few men under his command Roran has to disobey orders. This eventually helps him save the captain from being killed. The captain gives him new orders and is displeased that Roran disobeyed. However he must again ignore orders in order to save everyone’s lives. He kills 193 by himself but is punished with insubordination. He is sentenced to 50 lashings even though he saved the mission and everyone’s lives. After wards though he is made captain of a band of 20 Urgals and 20 men to try and show that they can work together (due to an incident earlier where a man in the Varden killed 3 Urgals in their sleep). The mission goes easily with no deaths and only 3 injuries. However one of the Urgal challenges Roran to a fight to prove his worth as leader. Roran accepts and eventually forces the Urgal into submission. Now for Eragon. This is reall long so I’m gonna make it super short. New dwarf king is needed who supports the Varden, hopefully Orik (Eragon’s foster bro), someone tries to kill Eragon with assassins, his sword breaks, the man who hired them is banished, Orik is elected new dwarf king. Then Eragon heads to the elf’s city for further teaching from his master. His master then reveals to him that Brom was his Father not Morzan, which also means Murtagh is only his half-brother. Also he finds some brightsteel (asteroid rock) that can be made into a new Dragon Rider sword just for him. AND THAT IS HOW IT ENDS!
I’m tired

5 comments:

Taylor said...

I didn't even realize this was one of the books from the Eragon series before I started reading your blog. Is it the most recent one? I tried to read the first Eragon because everyone said it was so good, but I got about 75% of the way through it and just wasn't interested enough to read the rest. Call me crazy...I guess it's just not the book for me. I like how in your blog you really sound like you're talking directly to someone. It makes it more interesting. I can't believe you read 300+ pages!

Anders said...

I loved Brisinger, you have to have read the past to books to understand it, you can't just jump into it after a couple of years. If I did not like this trilogy I could easily drop this book midway through. But I love Eragon so I would never do that.

KT said...

Wow! That story sounds so intense! He killed 193 by himslef? This book sounds good.

Will said...

Wow Reister, that sounds like an waesome book! I should puck it up dude. I like how you were informal in your post.

packbadge said...

Why can't we talk about something besides this darn book? What is this a school project or something?

Cats are bad at Jenga

Cats are bad at Jenga

Its my dog Max

Its my dog Max
he looks like a monk