Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Breaking Open the Unknown Universe

Hello there it’s me again. Just thought I’d let u know in case u forgot who I am Adam. Anyways I bet you can’t guess where I got this article. Okay fine maybe you can it’s from Popular Science…again (Don’t worry as soon as I get signed copy of Brinsinger from my cousins I’ll read that (unless my brother steals it)). Back on topic now, this article was all about the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). After 14 years it’s finally complete and they’ve started smashing protons together. The LHC is located under a small town called Meyrin in Switzerland. The LHC is the largest, most complex, and powerful (it can crush a bus) science experiment ever. Its only goal is to smash particles together and try and create the unknown. Above is a picture of the magnets that can crush buses. The LHC smashes protons together with such force and creates so much energy people are worried it will destroy us all. However the LHC will not doomed us to nonexistence. It just proves how far humans are willing to go to fulfill our endless curiosity. Some things the LHC is looking for are the Higgs particle, dark matter, and anything else that just happens to appear. The amount of data the LHC generates each day is about as much data on the World Wide Web. Since over 99% of the data it generates will be useless the scientists can just dump it, however some data will be sent to hundreds of computers worldwide. Well that’s all I got for now come back next week for most likely another Popular Science article.


3 comments:

Merrrt said...

dood you read all teh sweet stuffs i do (nerdy science stuff) DONT TELL ANYONE ITS A SECRET... ON THE INTERNET... RIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiight...

Adam said...

yup no one will ever find your comment on the internet

packbadge said...

It looks like a giant spirograph to me. All you youngsters, ask your parents what a spirograph is.

Cats are bad at Jenga

Cats are bad at Jenga

Its my dog Max

Its my dog Max
he looks like a monk